Rice on Rice

Teochew Kuih

I have a love affair with Teochew Kuih / Png Kueh / 潮州饭桃. This steamed cake is actually rice flour dough over glutinous rice. Practically rice on rice. Sticky rice? Haha. And its shaped like a peach, a very traditional and stylized rendition. I love it savoury where the glutinous is stir-fried with shallots and dried shrimp. If you don't finish it within a day (unlikely!), the next day you can pan fry it for a different kind or enjoyment. Anyway, its hard to get good ones in KL. By luck, mum came across a stall in the OUG morning market that sold Teochew Kuih from Tanjung Sepat. In addition to the usual pink ones, they also had some blue ones which had a filling mixed with mung beans (tau sar). Those were great too. Now I know where to get my Teochew Kuih fix!

Blue Teochew Kuih

Inside Blue Teochew Kuih

Comments

Twilight Man said…
I love these kuehs and I am proud to be a Teochew too. I was told they are the most feared clans in Chinatown NYC.
William said…
@Twi:
My fisher-folk cousins in Bagan Sungai Burung are Teochews.

@Derek:
You know which stall?

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho