Babi Before Birthday

Welcome

In an attempt to copy the success of the Marian Exhibition at Air Salak, my parish set up their own version at the church roof top. Compared to the Church of St. Mary, we had more floor space, but I think they did a better job. Wanted to let mum try the Mee Kolok at 7th Mile Kitchen, but by the time we arrived, they had already closed. Just hopped over to Restoran New Yew Sang to find something to eat. KH met us there and passed me some lovely chai kueh from Chemor. When we left the kopitiam, I thought I left my car keys on the table. Ran up and down to find them, Turns out that the keys were in my shirt pocket. On the eve of my birthday, I was reminded that I was getting old!

Our Lady of Fatima

Chai Kueh

As one ages, birthdays seem to lose their significance. For instance, my 37th birthday was quite a low key affair. SK told me to decide on the venue, and make the reservation myself. Even the guest list was up to me. KH had an early flight to Tokyo the next morning, so spared him from attending the Sunday dinner. Anyway, he had celebrated with me a few days ago. I didn't choose the venue until the very last minute. Really no idea where to dine. KH gave me a most unexpected suggestion-- a meat place in Cheras. Yes, Cheras. That ghost place. Although I didn't fancy Cheras, I followed his suggestion anyway. I was too lazy to think of any other place. So it was a table for five at Anne Elizabeth the Deli Restaurant.

Butcher

Since it was raining when I left the house, traffic was naturally worse. Although there was congestion here and there, I made it there in 35 minutes. The traffic and parking 'crisis' in the vicinity of the restaurant really reminded me of Sri Petaling. Thankfully, we were blessed with a parking space just a stone's throw away from the restaurant. The concept of the place is pretty simple. When they seat you, you will be given a table number. With that table number, head to the chiller to make your selection. Don't be daunted by the huge selection of sausages, ribs, and other cuts of meat, because an expert is on hand to help you make your selection. The expert will explain what is what, and advise on the combination, portion, and degree of doneness. At the chiller, you can also order salads, and other appetizers to go with your mains.

Pork Ribs

We started ordering after SK and Gratitude arrived, thinking that it would take a while for the food to be served. When Apollo arrived with QueerRanter-D, I had an 'oops' moment because I didn't think there would be anything suitable vegetarian options for him. Luckily for me, things turned out well anyway because they found a bigger for us, and there were actually suitable items on the menu for herbivores.

Pancetta

If you ever dine there, I suggest that you start with the mushroom soup. So thick and creamy, and perfect with a sprinkle of crispy bacon. The Pancetta is also highly recommended, a very tender rolled pork belly slice. We also tried some of the specialty items, specifically the Iberico black pork. Tried two items-- Iberico Abanico (cut from the frontal part of the carcass, between the collar and the pork back fat) and the black pig meatball in a blanket. Although both were specialty items, I still preferred the Pancetta! Next was sausages. SK goes crazy when she sees sausages. We tried three varieties, which was the Anne's Cumberland, spicy Italian, and Bangers.

Black Pig Meatball in Blanket

Business was very brisk at Anne Elizabeth. After we paid the bill, both floors of the restaurant were still full, and there were people waiting outside. The people on the waiting list had sweets, haw flakes, and sunflower seeds to snack on while they waited. Not bad at all.

Sausages

Determining the venue for coffee was as hard as determining the dinner venue. In the end, we settle on I One Cafe at a very quiet part of Taman Supreme. Completely opposite from what we saw in Taman Segar earlier. I ordered a a spicy mango latte, the weirdest item on the menu. There were hints of the fruit, but I really couldn't detect any spiciness. Mum whipped out a bag of peanuts from her bag, and we continued our yumcha session there.

Mugs

Comments

Derek said…
The food that is great. Haven't been there for a second time. ;-)
William said…
@Derek:
Pancetta is better than the Black Pork.
Twilight Man said…
Cheras has the most fancy restaurants and cafe in Klang Valley.
William said…
@Twi:
Cheras is never my first choice. Haha.
Arvind R.K said…
Our Lady of Fatima looks beautiful :)

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho