East Asian, East Malaysian

Sashimi Moriawase

First world problems: What to have for lunch after church? Some times I would just drive with no destination in mind, and I would suddenly get inspiration. Mum and I ended up at Uroko, which was quite a good choice because it's near my church, and I always wanted to give it a revisit to try the raw seafood on their menu. The sashimi moriawase was definitely worth it. The menu states 16 pieces, but I think we got 20 pieces. Other than that, we ordered grilled mentai prawn, grilled beef, and soft-shell crab salad. There were big, big chunks of crab in the salad... so meaty!

Grilled Beef

Prawn Mentai

Soft-shell Crab Salad

Lunch was with mum, so dinner was with KH. Made a radical choice for dinner-- native East Malaysian cuisine, a taste of Borneo. Thirty seven years as a Malaysian, and I never once tried this variety of food although I had tasted food from faraway countries! When we entered Javian Kitchen at Taman Equine, it was pretty quiet. Both of us did not have any experience with this type of cooking, so we just let the waitress make some recommendations. We had the Umai Obor-obor (spicy jellyfish salad), Ikan Pansuh (soupy fish traditionally cooked in bamboo, but they replaced it with a clay pot), and Sup Terung Dayak dengan Ikan Tahai (sour eggplant soup with dried fish). The taste of the dishes were vastly different from what I am used to, with the use of unique ingredients, herbs, and spices. Do give it a try if you want something different, and if you're feeling adventurous, they do serve sago worms! On the side, they also sell crafts, knick-knacks, snacks, and some food products that are exclusively found in East Malaysia like Lee Fah noodle snacks.

Sup Terung Dayak (Ikan Tahai)

Ikan Pansuh

Beads

Snacks

Comments

Twilight Man said…
This post woke me up. I have visited East Malaysia many times but didn't eat any Borneo food!!! Invite me!

Popular posts from this blog

Kensei

Osamu or Naoya?

Coat West Star II: Sho